Thursday, September 27, 2012

Time

As the leaves change colour
And the weather turns cool,
I am reminded again of time.
Ever changing, never still.
Heartbeat after heartbeat.
Step after step.
Time.

Life lies ahead in a seemingly vast expanse of the unknown
Or so they say.
But.
If life is ahead of me, 
then what am I in now?
Paying bills, working, school.
Repeat.
Time.

Pardon my cynicism.
But why tell me that I have my whole life ahead of me?
That's not encouragement.
That's trivial nonsense.
Young people need real.
We need people in our lives who are going to be willing.
We need people to say: Crap happens.
Move on.
Time. 

Fake answers and astronomical expectations.
How is that even fair?
The hope of the future rests on you.
Who, me? Right.
Better not screw up.
But if you do,
You've got your whole life ahead.
Time.

Marvelous, isn't it.
How we are taught.
Shirk your responsibilities.
Wait till you have it together.
Till you have a family maybe.
Yes, because that's a logical time to learn responsibility. 
After all, your whole life is ahead of you.
Time.

The best intentions have screwed us over.
Patronizing poison instead of life giving honesty.
For they didn't want to crush us.
But instead they made us irresponsible whiners.
You know what they say about good intentions. 
Apparently they lead you straight to hell.
Time.

You want a generation to save you.
Well. Here we are. 
40 year olds living with mommy.
14 year olds getting pregnant 
Don't worry, mommy will raise your ... sister?
Rampant disregard for human life.
I guess Daddy will pay for your fifth abortion.
Mean to say? Yep. But true? Quite.
But, not to worry.
Your whole life is ahead of you.
Time.

Sadly, we have become exactly what you were trying to avoid.
For we are a generation raised up in a culture where people do what they want.
When they want. 
How could we learn anything different?
We live in a culture with rapid advances in history.
Yet we can't even get it together enough to put a dent in what really matters.
Heartbreaking.
We are your future.
Good luck.
Time's running out.
Life is here and it's not a vast expanse.
It's a short leap.
Good, old, reliable time.
Time.

*I wish sarcasm could leak through in this as it did in my thoughts. I'm not meaning to be negative. I'm meaning to speak the truth. Sure, it's a little harsh. But it's true*



No comments: