Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Impact


So, a little while ago we had someone put a particularly interesting comment on our Starbucks customer voice survey. They said: "I love this Starbucks because they make me feel like a somebody." My manager and I talked about it later, and both of us came away from that statement so impacted. A couple weeks ago we were in worship practice and we were about to start playing the song 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord) by Matt Redman. The first verse goes like this:

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning;
It's time to sing your song again.
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me,
Let me be singing when the evening comes

As I was reading this verse, I began to tear up. I have always loved this song because it is chalk full of God's promises, but I had never thought of this song as a way to live life. I have always struggled with being negative, and truthfully sometimes I get so absorbed with what's going on in my head that I get rather agitated and grumpy, and I complain. A lot. So, as I was reading this song my heart was so impacted. What if, what if instead of complaining about life, instead of getting grumpy and frustrated with the smallest, insignificant things, what if I decide to choose to be singing when the evening comes?

I have a theory. I think that when we choose to be singing when the evening comes, I think that when we choose life giving sentiments instead of life sucking ones, we can impact not only ourselves, but others. It's not about us. Just think, by choosing joy, by choosing life, we in turn can give others life, we can make others feel like a somebody! You never know who you are going to come in contact with and how you can affect them.

In the end, if you choose to be singing God's promises in the morning, afternoon, and evening, that joy will shine through. It's not about life's little inconsistencies, but about how your song can impact others.


No comments: