Sunday, August 12, 2012

21

So, on the eve of my 21st birthday I have decided to write a blog post. And truthfully, it will probably actually be my birthday by the time I'm done writing this. However, this is beside the point. Throughout my life I have been brought up in a Christian home, taught all the right things to believe, and in general have been taught to think a certain way. Well, they tried that anyway. I don't think it quite worked out as they hoped. While I wholeheartedly appreciate and love my parents and the sacrifices they made for me, I can't help but see some flaws, as every child eventually does. I was telling a really close friend that I grew up in quite a shell, and she laughed at me. The way she put it was: "HA HA HA HA. THAT SHELL IS GONE!" At first I was quite taken aback, I thought that I still had some sort of dignity, and then I grew content, I realized that eventually, there comes a time when a person has to become their own intrinsic self and that it is ok to be someone completely different than who I was ten years ago (I was FRICKEN 11 ten years ago, God I am SO OLD) Anyway, I am well aware that I am rambling so I just have this to say. I have grown into this person who has learned to value the things that I want and think need to be valued. I have learned to stand on my own two feet. I have learned that God is faithful, and that he is true. I have learned not to be ashamed of who I am, of what I believe, and of what I think. I have learned to listen to the Holy Spirit. I have learned that drinking to much caffeine and staying up all night may just result in the coolest conversation with God ever. I have also learned that after this cool conversation with God that it can actually happen anywhere if your heart is open to it. This last year has been one for the books, let me tell you. I moved out, I found my way, I found the love of my heart (God), I've always been strong, but I found courage. And most importantly  of all, I found me. Happy 21st Birthday to me.

No comments: